Scientist - Computational Genomics (Two Positions)
ICRISAT is seeking applications from candidates from the Asian region, who are dynamic and highly innovative computational genomics and software expert, to work with a software engineering team as part of global initiative to extend the application of high-density genotypic information to routine cultivar development for ICRISAT mandate crops. The Scientists will be based at ICRISAT Headquarters in Patancheru, Telangana State, India and will be reporting to the Director, GOBII project at Cornell University, Ithaca. The incumbents will be closely working with the Global team from Cornell University-USA, IRRI-Philippines and CIMMYT-Mexico within the Research Programs on Genetic Gains at ICRISAT.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Design efficient SQL queries for pulling large sequencing projects.
- Serve as a technical adviser to the project leadership and provide computational perspective on product design and deliverability.
- Develop and oversee a rapid and incremental software development and release schedule.
- Design the software architecture, oversee the implementation and evolution of the design on appropriate hardware platforms.
- Working collaboratively in a team environment to design, code, test, debug, and document programs for an integrated genomic analysis pipeline in a rapid and incremental software development and release schedule.
- Supervise and review code development and ensure that software products meet project objectives in terms of functionality, scalability, robustness and user experience.
- Implement and oversee the QA/QC practices to ensure the development team is adhering to quality standards.
- Work closely with the application specialist to integrate feedbacks from teams in each CGIAR center into software customization and improvement.
- Assist in training of breeders in the CGIAR centers to use software developed.
The applicant should have:
- Understanding of genomics data and advanced knowledge of Java, and C/C++ as the programming languages and any of the scripting language like perl and/or Python, SQL
- High Performance Computing, data architecture, database platforms and QA/QC practices in software engineering.
- She/he should have solid experience in software development projects, preferably as a senior programmer or in the software project management role, and in projects involving big data.
- Excellent communication skills are needed to work in this multi-disciplinary, multi-location and multi-cultural team.
- Ability to mentor colleagues in quality software development practices is desired.
Educational Qualification : PhD or Masters in Computational Biology/Computational Genomics
- This is a staff position in the Scientist and Managerial Group (SMG) Cadre with an attractive & competitive salary and benefits package. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent.
Last date to submit application: 21st March 2016
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in increasing the participation of women on its staff.