Scientist – Cereals Improvement
ICRISAT is seeking applications from a dynamic and highly innovative Cereal Breeder to work in sorghum and millets improvement in a multi-disciplinary team comprising both biological and social scientists. The Scientist will be based at ICRISAT station in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. The position is within the East & Southern Africa Research Program. It will report administratively to the Zimbabwe Country Representative and technically to the Research Program Director-East & Southern Africa.
The Job and Responsibilities:
- Lead the ICRISAT’s research on cereal improvement, including cereal breeding, seed systems and development targeting Southern African countries, to improve sorghum and millets productivity and income generation for smallholders in the region.
- Work with interdisciplinary team of scientists including molecular geneticists, pathologists, entomologists, agronomists, socio-economists, seed systems specialists and technology transfer experts from ICRISAT both at Headquarter and in the East and Southern Africa Region, National Agricultural Research Institutes and development partners.
- Develop strategy on the use of genetic resources management of sorghum and millets.
- Analyse, summarize and interpret the data of the experiments conducted.
- Prepare reports and research papers for publication in the reputed journals.
- Lead project development and resource mobilization for ICRISAT and partners involved in sorghum and millets improvement and associated crop management in Southern Africa.
- Contribute to the sorghum and millets R4D agenda and to the development of strategic partnership.
- Enhance capacity building of partners in the region through degree and non-degree training
- Ph.D degree in Genetics and /or Plant Breeding with 3-5 years post-doctoral experience in crop breeding research, with an interest in both basic research and development-oriented and on-farm research
- Experience with variety development and release as well as effective seed dissemination, including sound knowledge of recurrent population improvement and hybrid breeding procedures.
- Knowledge of quantitative genetics for optimizing selection programs, for refining heterotic grouping and performing combining ability analyses.
- Knowledge of molecular marker applications for improving selection efficiency and enhancing targeted use of genetic diversity in the breeding program
- Good publication record, as evidenced by research papers in refereed journals
- Statistical skills, knowledge of computer applications and software for data collection, management and analysis
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Working experience with sorghum, pearl millet and finger millet or other cereals
- Experience in working with a wide range of Stakeholders and interest to work in interdisciplinary team, and knowledge of Eastern and Southern Africa
- Aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
- Understanding of Portuguese is an asset.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent. An attractive compensation will be offered for the right candidate.
How to Apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 29-April-2016, with a letter addressing selection criteria, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.