The University Grants Commission (UGC) on Tuesday amended its regulation on faculty recruitment to relax the minimum eligibility conditions for appointment of assistant professors in colleges and universities.
The UGC exempted candidates registered for M.Phil/PhD programme before July 11, 2009, from clearing the National Eligbility Test (NET) or the State-Level Eligibility Test (SLET) in order to become eligible for appointment as assistant professors in colleges and universities.
This exemption, however, is only valid
1. his/her PhD degree should be awarded in regular mode
2. thesis should have been evaluated by at least two external examiners
3. the candidate should have appeared for viva-voce
4. have published at least two papers based on the Ph.d thesis in research journals
5. the candidate should also have made at least two presentations at conferences or seminars.