03 May 2016
Categories> Scholarships Abroad
Join a team that offers highly cooperative and productive research environment
1. Job title: PhD student
2. Institute: Yeungnam University (Republic of Korea)
3. Department: Biotechnology
4. Research Description: Microbial Genomics
We are looking for a prospects PhD student in the laboratory of Dr. Junhyun Jeon, Assistant Professor at the Department of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University. The research goal of Jeon lab is to explore questions with potentially great impact on both science and our society. We are currently working on elucidating epigenetic basis of pathogenesis in fungal pathogens of plants using the rice blast fungus, Magnaporthe oryzae as a model system (funded by the Korean National Research Foundation). A postdoctoral candidates are expected to work on genomics of microbial endophytes associated with pine trees (funded by Korea Forest Service). This project will be done in close collaboration with other groups working on isolation of endophytes showing strong anti-nematode/nematicidal effects, and will focus on analysis and engineering of genomes of the endophytes in an attempt to increase the production of potential anti-nematode/nematocidal compounds.
In Jeon lab, a PhD student will have unique opportunities to take both molecular/cellular biological and bioinformatics approaches to explore the given biological questions. We welcome everyone full of motivation and passion for biological sciences.
5. Required Qualifications:
1) Strong motivation to perform scientific researches
2) Willingness to work collaboratively as a team
3) Experience in molecular biology(strongly preferred)/biochemistry(preferred but not required)/ bioinformatics(especially knowledge in DNA sequencing technology, expertise in pathway or gene cluster prediction and analysis is strongly preferred)
6. Notes to all applicants: Applicants are required to submit their curriculum vitae with a cover letter indicating their current research topics and interest. If applicants have publication record in peer-reviewed journal, it is highly recommended to indicate it in the CV.
Interested candidates may write to Prof. Jeon Junhyun at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lab website: http://yeungnam.wix.com/yugenomics
University website: http://www.yu.ac.kr/_english/main/index.php