Dates: September 12 to 15, 2016
Venue: Microbial Culture Collection (MCC)
Location: Pune (Maharashtra), INDIA
Continuing on from the grand success of the first two meetings of the Bergey’s International Society for Microbial Systematics (BISMiS), the third meeting of the society will be held from September 12 - 15, 2016 at the Microbial Culture Collection (MCC) in Pune, India. The meeting will be hosted jointly by MCC and Pune Unit of the Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI).
BISMiS-2016 will focus on the changing face of microbial systematics with the merger of “Microbial Systematics and Metagenomics”. Microbial Systematics is undergoing a revolutionary change in its approach to describe novel taxa based on genomic/envirogenomic information. With the application of high throughput sequencing technologies and other novel methods, we are now able to investigate microbes in their natural environment and understand the vast diversity that harbours our planet. Although a session was dedicated to this theme in the BISMiS-2014 meeting, the interesting discussion that followed the session and vast information generated from the merger of these two branches demands that the next meeting be focused on this aspect.
Sessions will include:
- The role of cultures in the twenty first Century
- Cultures and culturing of as-yet-uncultivated microbes
- Modern Approaches to Identification/Diagnosis
- Genomics/metagenomics/single cell genomics based description of novel taxa
- Minimum Standards for the Description of New Taxa
- Chemotaxonomy in the age of Genomics
- Cyanobacterial taxonomy
- Plant-Microbe symbioses
- Microbial Systematics in Education
More Info : http://bismis.org/?cm=body_bismis2016