Job Advertisement JSMC-117/2016
The Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) is funded by the German Excellence Initiative. JSMC is an ambitious Graduate School with over 150 doctoral researchers who are educated in a structured, interdisciplinary training program based on top-level fundamental research. It conceptually combines different research areas to a comprehensive picture of microbial communication (www.jsmc.uni-jena.de). Institutes at five faculties of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, six non-university research institutes as well as 12 partner companies are participating in this cutting-edge research and training program.
The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’ invites applications for a
Doctoral Researcher Position (Ref.No. JSMC_117/2016)
Photonics as a non-destructive investigation strategy for biofilms
Understanding the properties of microbes that organize themselves in biofilms is getting more and more important. The planned project aims to utilize Raman spectra of biofilm samples to identify its microbial composition. Perspectively, a Raman sum parameter should be defined for a fast and reliable differentiation between biofilms distinct in their microbial composition and matrix associated properties (e.g. resistance to antibiotics).
- a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences (biology, chemistry). Candidates about to earn their degree are welcome to apply.
- desirable methodological skills: aplication of spectroscopy; knowledge about microbiological cultivation
- high motivation and interest to join one of the interdisciplinary research areas of JSMC
- creativity and interest to shape your own thesis project
- an integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the lively JSMC Community
- very good communication skills in English (instruction language at JSMC)
- a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities
- a comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors
- a top-level PhD training program with courses in state-of-the-art research technologies and soft skills
- Jena – City of Science: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centers of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University
The doctoral researcher positions are available from the beginning of 2017. The positions will be financially supported corresponding to TV-L (salary agreement for public service employees). Friedrich Schiller University Jena is an equal opportunity employer. Disabled persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Katja Präfcke, JSMC email@example.com
The application process is handled exclusively online. Please acquaint yourself with the scientific projects offered on our website. Please note that you can choose up to 3 projects of interest in your application. It is only necessary to fill in the application form for your first preference of projects; the other two projects can be selected in the application form. In order to apply via the online application portal, go to the button "Apply now!".
Deadline for application: Oct 23, 2016.
Successful applicants will be invited to attend a recruitment meeting in Jena (envisaged date: Dec 14-15, 2016).