Regional Scientist – Pearl Millet Breeding
ICRISAT invites applications for a dynamic and motivated Cereal Breeder to engage with pearl millet biofortification program in West and Central Africa (WCA) within a multi-disciplinary team comprising both biological and social scientists. The position is based at the ICRISAT Niamey, Niger, within the West & Central Africa Research Program, and reports to the Regional Director for WCA.
- Responsible for implementing pearl millet biofortification research and development program in the West and Central Africa regions
- Design and implement an efficient biofortification breeding agenda to develop superior pearl millet varieties, hybrid-parents and hybrids with adaptability to the growing conditions in West and Central Africa, and that respond to the needs of main stakeholders.
- Handle harvested materials to establish inventories of seed stocks from which to draw genotypes for specific plant breeding analyses.
- Plan and conduct the biannual planning and review meetings in partnership with national Programs and other major stakeholders
- Interact with ICRISAT scientists at other locations, including breeders in the Research Program-Asia, in order to material exchange and accelerate breeding efficiency to strengthen biofortification program at WCA
- Provide scientific contribution and creativity in designing and executing projects within the Region and across ICRISAT
- Use the appropriate data, pedigree, and computer software to manage the breeding program, design trials and analyze results and interpret the data of the experiments conducted to publish in reputed journals
- Develop a close collaboration with the public and private breeding programs in West and Central Africa to deliver and upscale promising cultivars
- Develop annual work plan, budget and technical project reports and submission in-time to donors through crop leader.
- Organize and contribute to enhance capacity building of partners in the region through training/workshop on biofortification aspects in coordination with ICRISAT-Harvest Plus team.
Eligibility and Qualification:
- PhD in genetics and/or plant breeding with 4-5 years post-doc breeding experience in both basic and development-oriented/on-farm research
- Demonstrated interest and experience in international agricultural research, particular to conduct research to benefit smallholder farmers
- Experience or familiarity with quantitative methods, population genetics, genomics and data management tools for enhancing breeding efficiency
- Experience in executing a field-based research/breeding program and phenotyping
- Demonstrated capacity in variety development, release and maintenance as well as effective seed dissemination and implementing participatory research methods
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in multicultural partnerships and interdisciplinary teams
- Experience in Project development, management, delivering project reports and managing budgets efficiently and good track record in publications
- Willingness to travel extensively in the region and globally
- Fluency in English with excellent written/oral communication and presentation skills; working knowledge of French is highly desirable
This is a position in a Scientific and Managerial group (SMG Cadre) for three years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the Institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 31-December-2016, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.