The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research invites applications for Graduate School Admissions (GS-2014). The Graduate Programme at TIFR is classified into the following Subjects - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability) and Science Education. It is conducted at the Mumbai campus and various National Centres of TIFR.
- Mathematics PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programmes at School of Mathematics, TIFR Mumbai (only PhD programme) and Centre for Applicable Mathematics (CAM), Bengaluru.
- Physics PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programmes at TIFR, Mumbai Campus, National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune, TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad.
- Chemistry PhD Programme at TIFR, Mumbai and TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad.
- Biology PhD, Integrated M.Sc.-PhD, M.Sc. and M.Sc. Wildlife Biology & Conservation Programs at TIFR, Mumbai, National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru, TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad.
- Computer & Systems Sciences including Communications and Applied Probability -PhD programme at School of Technology & Computer Science (STCS), TIFR, Mumbai.
- Science Education PhD Programme at Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE), Mumbai.
For PhD (Mumbai): M.Sc./BE/B.Tech./M.Tech./M.A./BA/B.Sc.
For PhD (Bengaluru): MA/M.Sc./M.Tech.
For I-PhD (Bengaluru): BA/B.Sc./BE/B.Tech.
For PhD: M.Sc. (Physics) / B.Tech. (Engineering Physics)
For I-PhD: B.Sc./BE/ME/M.Tech./B.Chem. or equivalent degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, M.Sc. (not in Physics) / B.Tech. (not in Engineering Physics). In addition, I-Ph.D. candidates with four or more years of university education who clear the written test may be considered by TCIS for their Ph.D. program.
I-Ph.D. candidates with an engineering degree who clear the written test may be considered by NCRA for their PhD program.
For PhD: M.Sc./BE/B.Tech./M.Tech./B.Pharm./M.Pharm./B.Sc. candidates with advanced knowledge of the discipline are also eligible to apply.
For PhD Programme in TCIS: M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
For PhD: Masters in Basic Science or Bachelors in Applied Science. These include, M.Sc. (Ag.), B.Tech. B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 years course), MBBS, BDS, M. Pharma. Candidates will be short-listed for interview based on written test marks, CV and Scientific Write-up.
For I-PhD/M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science.
- M.Sc. Wildlife Biology & Conservation: Indian nationals who have a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline (with a minimum of 50% in core subjects), less than 35 years of age as on July 1, 2014 and a strong interest in wildlife research and conservation. Graduate nationals of South and Southeast Asian countries, with similar qualifications, are also eligible to apply. Ph.D. Program in TCIS: M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
- Computer & System Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability):
For PhD: BE/B.Tech./ME/M.Tech./M.C.A./M.Sc. degree holders in Computer Science / Information Technology / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering. Exceptionally well qualified students with BE/B.Tech./ ME/M.Tech./M.Sc. or equivalent degrees in other disciplines may also be considered.
How to apply: Students can apply either online or manually. Students who want to apply manually may send a request for application form.
- Nationwide Entrance Examination: Sunday, December 8, 2013
- Last date to apply: October 20, 2013
- GATE Scored based applications to Systems Science (including Communications and Applied Probability):
- Opens on : February 1, 2014
- Closes on : Two weeks after the GATE 2014 results are displayed on their website.
- Results of the Nationwide Entrance Examination: January 15, 2014
TIFR GS-2014 Website : http://univ.tifr.res.in/gs2014/