University of Kerala Thiruvananthapuram
PhD/MSc (Engineering ) by Research Degree (Full‐time/Part‐time) 2013-2014
Online Application in the prescribed form is invited by University of Kerala from eligible candidates for the General Aptitude Test for determining eligibility for admission to Full‐time/Part‐time research leading to Ph.D/M.Sc. (Engineering ) by Research Degree.
The subjects offered are:
1. Aquatic Biology and fisheries
4. Bio‐chemistry(including Medical Bio‐chemistry)
5. Biotechnology( including Microbiology and Medical Microbiology)
9. Communication and Journalism
10. Computer Science
14. Environmental Sciences
15. Futures Studies
21. Management Studies
22. Islamic Studies
24. Library and Information Science
32. Politics( including question from Public Administration)
41. Home Science – including question from :
a. Food and Nutrition
b. Family Resource Management
c. Extension Education
43. Physical Education
44. Social Work
45. Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
46. Chemical Engineering
47. Civil Engineering
48. Computer Science and Engineering.
49. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
50. Electronics and Communication Engineering
51. Mechanical Engineering (Above Subjects applicable to MSc. Engineering by research also).
52. Architecture ( inclusive of Town Planning)
53. Basic Medical Sciences( Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, Bio‐chemistry, Microbiology)
54. Medicine and Allied Specialties( Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Radiology, Public Health, Psychiatry and General Medicine)
55. Surgery and Allied Specialties( Opthalmology, Orthopaedics and General aspects of Surgery).
57. Pharmaceuticals Sciences
58. Dentistry including questions from :
a. Oral Pathology including Oral Anatomy and Oral Biology
d. Oral Medicine & Radiology
f. Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
g. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
i. Community Dentistry
Conditions of Eligibility:
Candidates who have secured not less than 55% marks at the Master’s Degree Examination are eligible to apply for the test.
Bachelors’ degree holders in Engineering with not less than 55% marks are eligible to apply for the test for securing eligibility for admission to MSc.(Engineering ) by Research.
Candidates belonging to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes who hold Master’s Degree in Science and Applied Science faculties with atleast 45% marks and Master’s Degree in other faculties with 40% marks are eligible to apply for the test. Physically/Visually handicapped candidates are eligible for a relaxation of 5% marks.
Candidates who have appeared for Master’s Degree Examination and whose result is still awaited may also apply for the test. However, such candidates will be considered eligible for admission to research leading to Ph.D Degree provided they pass the Master’s Degree Examination with at least 55% marks and have been declared qualified in the test.
Candidates who have already qualified in the National Eligibility Test for Junior Research Fellowship or Lectureship of the UGC/CSIR or ICAR/GATE or ICMR JRF test or candidates who are selected for Fellowship by the Kerala State Counsil for Science, Technology & Environment or the State level eligibility test conducted by the Kerala Government or who hold M.Phil. Degree by research and thesis in addition to a Master’s Degree or its equivalent with not less than 55% marks are exempted from eligibility test.
Candidates with DBT‐JRF are exempted from the PH.D Entrance Test and they are permitted to register for research leading to Ph.D Degree in Biotechnology. Candidates with DST‐INSPIRE fellowship are exempted from Ph.D Entrance Test. Candidates who have qualified (GPAT ) are exempted from Ph.D Entrane test and are permitted to register for research leading to Ph.D Degree in Pharmacy.
Scientists/Ayurveda Doctors working in Pharmaceuticals/Hospitals/Research Centres owned by Government with 7 years experience and having 2 research papers published are exempted from the Ph.D Entrance Test.
Scientists/Engineers working in approved Research Laboratories either owned or managed by the Central/State Government or an Autonomous research Institution of National Status with seven years experience in the Grade Scientist/Engineer, having two research papers published in the recognized research journals of the concerned subject approved by the Board of Studies concerned, are exempted from the Ph.D Eligibility Test.
College teachers who have seven or more years of teaching experience are also exempted from the Eligibility Test. Candidates with DM/M.Ch Degree are exempted from appearing for the test. Those who have qualified M.Phil in subjects other than the subjects in which he/she seeks registration for Ph.D would be required to qualify the Eligibility Test.
Candidates Selected to the QIP (Quality – Improvement Programme) introduced by AICTE, for teachers of AICTE approved degree level Engineering Institutions are exempted from Ph.D Entrance test. Registration will be granted to the eligible candidates only if the concerned Supervising Teacher has vacant seats at the concerned research Centres.
Part‐Time Ph.D registration shall be restricted to regular/permanent teachers of the Department and affiliated colleges of the University of Kerala in the concerned subjects.
Part‐Time registration is also extended to teachers who are working in substantive vacancies in Government and Aided Colleges in the State of Kerala.
However, the facility of part‐time Ph.D registration (1) in library and Information Science is also extended to those who are working as Library Staff in the University of Kerala on regular basis with a minimum of 3years experience if all other conditions are satisfied and (2) in Management Studies is extended to those persons working in managerial position with a minimum of 3 years experience in Government and Public Sector undertakings provided all other conditions are satisfied.
The Eligibility Test shall be conducted on 12‐10‐2013 from 10am to 1pm
Scheme of the Test
The general aptitude test will be of three hours duration and will carry a maximum of 200 marks. The test comprises of General Knowledge (40 marks) Short answers (120 marks) and an Essay (40 marks ). Post graduate level knowledge of the subject and aptitude for research are expected of the candidate.
Candidates can apply only in the subjects offered by the University and go in for specialization at a later stage, while choosing the topic of research for registration for Ph.D. While applying for the Eligibility Test the candidates should carefully choose the subject most suitable according to their qualifying P.G. Degree/choice or area of interest for doctoral research.
Mode of Application
Online registration can be done at the university website of www.research.keralauniversity.ac.in.
Candidates should apply online and download the application and send it along with the necessary documents and fees to the Registrar by 31st August 2013(5 pm). All relevant documents proving qualification and eligibility should be send along with the application duly signed and attested by a Gazetted Officer.
1. The cost of application form is Rs. 10/‐ and the fee for the test is Rs.750/‐. For candidates belonging to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes the fee for the Test is 375/‐ (Rs. 10/‐ service charge in case of DD).
Applications can be downloaded after online registration from the website of Kerala University( Rs. 10/‐ for downloading charges).
2. All remittances should be either through University Cash Counter or Demand Draft issued by the State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of India or the District Co‐Operative Bank drawn in favour of the Finance Officer, University of Kerala, payable at Thiruvananthapuram.
3. The downloaded application furnished for the examination should be accompanied by self addressed stamped and easily detachable envelope for sending the pass memo. In the absence of envelope, a fine of Rs 50/‐ will be charged.
4. Copies of Master’s Degree Certificate and Mark List attested by a Gazetted Officer should be sent along with the downloaded application.A comprehensive marklist showing the exact percentage of marks secured or an equivalent certificate should be furnished.In case of grades awarded certificate showing percentage equivalency should be furnished.
5. Candidates who have qualified from Universities outside Kerala University should produce copy of Eligibility Certificate.
6. Pass Memo will be issued only on clearance of all the defects such as submission of eligibility certificate, DD fee, attestation etc. even if qualified in the entrance test. Candidates may exercise caution while filling the form online and may send all the required enclosures along with the application form.
7. The photographs affixed in the application and hall ticket should be attested by a Gazetted Officer and the name and designation of the Officer should be clearly shown.
8. Copy of relevant certificate in the case of SC/ST candidates attested by a Gazetted Officer should be sent along with the downloaded application. Recent community certificate(within 6 months) should be furnished.
9. Candidates who have appeared for Master’s Degree Examination and whose results are still awaited should send a copy of the Hall Ticket attested by Gazetted Officer along with the application. ( Last semester/ Year only will be considered.)
10. Fee once paid will not be refunded
11. Physically handicapped candidates should contact the section ( AC EIA ) with the relevant document to prove the disability on or before 31st Aug 2013.