August 17, 2016
RGCB invites applications for the following positions from Indian citizens with prescribed qualifications. Full details including job description, additional desirable qualifications, etc. are described below.
Code No. 1
Senior Manager (Bioinformatics Operations)
(To download application format, click here )
Scale of Pay
PB-3 Rs.15600-39100 + Grade Pay Rs.6600/-
Number of Positions
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Life Sciences or Computer Science applied to biological questions.
- A minimum of 5 years documented experience in national or state government R&D centers or state and central universities.
- Track record of research funding and peer reviewed publications.
- Proficiency using statistical analysis software or libraries such as R or Matlab.
- Experience with a general scripting language such as Python, Ruby, or Pearl
- Experience working with Next Generation Sequencing data
- Proficiency with data visualization tools (Spotfire, Tableau, R, Python, etc.)
- Experience with an object-oriented language such as Java, C++ or C# and familiarity with standard software development best practices: source code control, unit testing, in-code documentation and automated build environments.
- Excellent listening, time management, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to illustrate problems and generate solutions
- Management skills – demonstrated through the successful management of a team or large projects.
- Broad and deep knowledge of computational methods for high-throughput sequence analysis and interpretation.
- Extensive experience in delivering bioinformatics as a service and conducting training programs.
- Experience of working with a production, customer-focused environment and business development projects.
- Experience with management of funding and financial sustainability.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and ability to lead and motivate an effective team, and also work as a good team player.
- Good problem solver, able to logically identify solutions to technical problems.
- Able to see the bigger picture and contribute towards strategic direction of Platforms and Pipelines teams.
- This position will involve cross-functional teamwork to build and develop bioinformatics tools and provide analysis for ongoing clinical trials.
- Collaborate with biomarker scientists, clinical investigators and pipeline teams to build analytical tools.
- Implement and evaluate new algorithms for R&D.
- Support Research and Development teams by analyzing NGS data to identify predictive response markers
- Lead training programs in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics.
We are seeking a highly motivated experienced bioinformatician to be placed in the RGCB Technical Cadre who will oversee the day-to-day management of the institute’s Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Facility and bioinformatics operations. The Manager will be responsible for assuring the quality and timely delivery of essential analyses of data from high-throughput sequencing, genotyping and other array platforms to our scientists and collaborators. This role includes assuring the integrity of RGCB’s significant computer installations, and coordinating the work of a growing team of bioinformatics analysts in the facility. The candidate will have demonstrable skills in managing bioinformatics staff & discovery projects in an R&D environment, excellent communication, writing & presentation skills, team working and the ability to lead training programs.
Must be a flexible and reliable team player interested in working in a national environment within a diverse and dynamic working atmosphere.
Excellent communication skills as well as proficiency in written and spoken English.
40 years as on August 01, 2016
Code No. 2
Technical Assistant Group II
(To download application format, click here )
Scale of Pay
PB-1 Rs.5200-20200 + Grade Pay Rs.2800/-
Number of Positions
6 (General-5, SC-1) ) in the categories Code 2A to 2D
Graduate in Science with minimum of three years’ documented working experience in the relevant area in State/Central Government research institutions.
Applicants For Technical Assistant: Medical Laboratory Technology (Code 2C): A bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Technology approved by the Directorate of Medical Education or equivalent State or National authority is required.
Applicants must be flexible and reliable team players interested in working in a national environment within a diverse and dynamic working atmosphere. Strong computer and software skills. Excellent communication skills as well as proficiency in written and spoken English is mandatory.
Specific Additional Qualifications (this will also serve as the job description)
Code 2A - Technical Assistant (Laboratory Assistance & Management)
Documented experience in laboratory management assistance including assistance in departmental project management activities as assigned by a supervisor or project manager, collection of project plan updates, maintenance or modification of project plan documentation, preparation/distribution of project status reports, project accounts, preparation of utilization certificates & expenditure statements, project reporting and documentation.
Code 2B - Technical Assistant (Data Entry & Programming)
Documented experience of data entry at government research institutions, documented experience in website management, web server management, data base development, documented proficiency in programming languages like C/C++, Perl, SQL, HTML, and JAVA and knowledge of mixed operating systems environments (e.g. UNIX, Windows NT, Sybase, Oracle etc.), Structured programming skills, problem-solving abilities, and strong diagnostic capabilities, extensive knowledge of relational databases, biorepository management through use of appropriate application software as well good proficiency in PC software.
Code 2C – Technical Assistant (Medical Laboratory Technology)
The Technical Assistant will carry out laboratory based investigations by undertaking a range of routine technical and experimental tasks that include, but not limited to, use of sophisticated lab equipment to perform analysis of blood and body fluids, diagnose viral and bacterial diseases in blood and body fluid specimens using molecular and immunological techniques, isolation of DNA, viruses, bacteria, parasites and other microorganisms from blood, body fluids and tissues for identification of disease, test drug levels in the blood to show how a patient is responding to treatment as well all other relevant medical laboratory based investigations.
Code 2D – Technical Assistant (Cell & Molecular Biology)
Documented experience in mammalian cell and microbe culture, gel electrophoresis, DNA manipulation (e.g. isolating, cloning and subcloning of DNA, DNA analysis through fingerprinting and bar coding techniques, DNA sequence analysis, RNA isolation and characterization (e.g. Northern blot analysis, etc.), Western blot analysis, immune-precipitation, protein quantitation), immunofluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry, collecting and processing various biological specimens for laboratory research purposes; maintaining laboratory documents, keeping detailed logs of all work-related activities, maintaining an inventory of specimens, chemicals, and supplies for experimentation; cleaning, maintaining, and preparation of supplies and raw materials for work areas; processing orders, indents or invoices and undertaking clerical and simple accounting for laboratory management.
Code 2E – Technical Assistant (Bio Imaging)
The candidate should be ready to work in a dynamic multi-user environment and play an active role in a highly competitive and nation-wide visible platform for microscopy and image analysis.
The primary responsibilities of the incumbent are, routine use and care of the microscopy equipment, support for basic training of the users of Bio-imaging facility, support of image analysis projects, participation in the research projects initiated by user groups, sample preparation and cell culture, histological sample preparation, tissue processing for histopathology, cryosectioning, cross sectioning and immunocytochemistry techniques, project consultations and trouble-shooting, general administrative and support duties keeping detailed logs of all work-related activities, maintaining an inventory of specimens, chemicals, and supplies for experimentation; cleaning, maintaining, and preparation of supplies and raw materials for work areas; processing orders, indents or invoices and undertaking clerical and simple accounting for laboratory management.
35 years as on August 01, 2016
General Conditions/ Instructions
- The number of positions in each code is provisional and may increase at the time of selection; if more numbers of positions with identical job requirements is needed at the time of selection or within two year after the selection these positions may also be filled from among the list of shortlisted candidates.
- The Director, RGCB reserves right to not to fill any or all posts advertised.
- Relaxations and concessions will be in accordance with the RGCB Rules and Regulations. Relaxation in age, educational qualifications and/ or experience will be considered in case of persons already holding analogous/equivalent positions in Government Scientific Organisations/ Research Institutions.
- The candidates must be citizens of India.
- Candidates applying for more than one post may apply separately for each post indicating the name and code number of the postion. Applications form must be downloaded from the institute website.
- Merely fulfilling the requirements in the advertisement will not automatically entitle any candidate to be called for interview. The applications received will be scrutinized and candidates who in the opinion of the institute are likely to be suitable will be shortlisted for calling for interview. Depending on the number of applicants the institute may conduct written or practical skill tests for positions under Code numbers 1 to 3 to shortlist candidates for selection interview The decision of the institute in all these matters will be final. No interim enquiries/ correspondence/communication of any sort will be entertained in the matter.
- Persons working under the Central/State Government/Public Sector Undertakings/ Central Autonomous Bodies shall submit their applications through proper channel. They may, however, send an advance copy of the application along with enclosures as required. Those who are unable to forward their application through proper channel may submit a NOC from their employer at the time of selection interview, if shortlisted. Without this NOC, the applicant will not be allowed to attend the selection interview.
- Canvassing in any manner would entail automatic disqualification of the candidature.
- Incomplete applications or applications without copies of certificates or applications received after the last date will be rejected.
- Applications in prescribed format with resume/curriculum vitae and attested copies of all necessary certificates, experience certificates and other supporting documents may be submitted by post to the DIRECTOR, RAJIV GANDHI CENTRE FOR BIOTECHNOLOGY, POOJAPPURA, THYCAUD P.O, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM 695014, KERALA STATE or by e-mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org on or before September 15, 2016. Applications sent by post, must have on the envelope the name and code number of the position applied for.