PhD Admissions January 2017
Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research– Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting January 2017.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
- Master's degree (Five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological/Chemical/Physical/Mathematical/Bioinformatics/Agricultural/Veterinary/Pharmcy/Nursing or a Bachelor's Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on January 1st, 2017.
- 2. The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10, or equivalent (55% or CGPA 6/10 for SC/ST candidates). According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided. Please mention this in the remarks column. [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria]
- 3. Qualification in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st January 2017: CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF (Category I)*/DST-INSPIRE for Ph.D./ ICMR-JRF*/GATE-(EY) (Rank 1 to 80)** /JGEEBILS (GS-2015)*** [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points" below for INSPIRE Ph. D fellowship].
* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to avail Category 1 DBT-Junior Research Fellowships tenable at any university/institution in India and is not restricted to join only DBT sponsored projects
** GATE (EY) qualified candidates are eligible only for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. GATE exam scores for other subjects will not be considered for PhD admissions to IISER-TVM.
*** JGEEBILS qualified candidates will be shortlisted based on their marks and may apply ONLY after receiving an e-mail invitation from IISER-TVM. Please do not write to us asking for your JGEEBILS marks or ranks.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal, with a question or a problem clearly spelt out and how it would be addressed. The proposal should have a minimum of 350 words, but should not exceed 400 words. While applying online upload this proposal as No. 20 Statement of Purpose. This question does not need to be related to the research going on at School of Biology, IISER-TVM. The proposal will be used as one of the criteria for short-listing and your application will be treated incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days. In case of a high turn out of candidates above 75, an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master's level Biology questions (70% marks) and 12th level Physics, Math, Chemistry questions (together 30%) on the first day of interview. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews. The final selection of candidates will solely be based on your performance in the interviews.
Research Areas in School of Biology open for PhD students:
- Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour?
- Genome stability?
- Stem cells and regenerative medicine?
- Mammalian cell division and cytoskeleton
- Structural Molecular Biology
- Immune cell biology
|Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/ from||20th September 2016|
|Last date of receipt of the application form||17th October 2016 [17:00 hrs]|
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates on the Institute's website http://www.iisertvm.ac.in||20th October 2016|
|Interview for the short-listed candidates Biological Sciences||22-24 November 2016|
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Chemical Sciences||2-3 December 2016|
|Interview for the short-listed candidates in Physical sciences||29-30 November 2016|
Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview