Manager – GeneBank
ICRISAT is a non-profit organization that helps empower poor people in the rural drylands of Africa and Asia to overcome poverty, hunger and malnutrition, through making agriculture profitable and sustainable. We achieve this through scientific advancements and working in partnership. ICRISAT, established in 1972 is a member of the CGIAR System Organization. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
The Job and Responsibilities:
- Assembly and collection of germplasm to fill gaps in the coverage of the genepool.
- Conservation of germplasm under long-term and medium term storage
- Monitoring viability of conserved germplasm.
- Safety duplication of viable accessions at another genebank (first level) and in Svalbard Global Seed Vault (second level).
- Regeneration and multiplication of germpalsm by growing out and regeneration of accessions that have declined in viability or seed quantity.
- Supply of germplasm and associated information and making a long-term impact.
- Repatriation of native germplasm to NARS partners who have lost their collections.
- Characterization of germplasm and diversity assessment.
- Evaluation of germplasm for traits of economic importance (biotic and abiotic stresses, agronomic, seed and nutritional traits).
- Seed health testing and cleaning (at the Seed Health Unit) of new and regenerated germplasm accessions for conservation and exchange
- Defining strategies for enhanced use of germplasm in crop improvement programs
- Managing information for accessions and use by maintaining, improving and expanding datasets for maintenance and promoting their use through GRIN-Global and Genesys.
- Establishing and updating Quality and Risk Management Systems, genebanks operation manuals and staff retention plan.
- Strengthening Regional Genebanks in Africa for efficient management of regional diversity and representative global diversity for enhanced use germplasm in the region.
- Develop and submit grant proposals in relation to research issues for the conservation, increase and utilization of the in-trust collections, and participate in fund raising for the endowment or other major initiatives for the conservation or enhancement of the in-trust collections
- Represent ICRISAT in international forums on plant genetic resources and participate into the ad hoc committees of the CGIAR on plant genetic resources and related issues.
- Developing partnerships and enhancing capacity of NARS partners in managing germplasm collections.
- PhD in genetics, plant breeding, seed sciences or closely related discipline, with at least five years of international experience in conservation of plant genetic resources.
- Expertise in population genetics, breeding systems, crop evolution, seed pathology /physiology and genomics relevant to the conservation and distribution of crop genetic resources and wild relatives.
- Knowledge about the advances in genomics for a wider utilization of crop genetic resources in plant breeding, and for a higher relevance of selected germplasm to be introduced in the in-trust collections.
- Understanding of international laws governing access and benefit-sharing of crop genetic resources, of plant phytosanitary regulations and of intellectual property rights impacting on the move of crop germplasm and genebank operations.
- Excellent track record of publications in crop genetic resources in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience in fund raising, writing project proposals and management of research projects.
- Fluency in spoken and written English; knowledge of French will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated leadership competencies
- Excellent inter-personal skills with proven ability to organize team tasks along timetables, to motivate staff towards performance in genebank operations, to inspire professional staff in their own research activities, and to interact with colleagues in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
The position is in the Internationally Recruited Staff Cadre on contract for Three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 2-December -2017 with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.