Study in USA

USA Education Consultants in India  
Many students from all over the world aim to study in USA for their under graduation or post-graduation. Universities in the United States are famous not just for their exemplary campus and research facilities but are also perceived by many students as an incubator for developing a global citizenship by communicating with people from different ethnicities.  

Benefits of study in USA  
American universities are amongst the best in the world and there are a number of benefits that a student can enjoy if he completes his higher education in the country.  

Study at the best institutions  
USA is one of the front runners when it comes to quality of education. Out of the top 10 universities in the world, USA is the country with the highest representation. Ivy League Universities such as Harvard, Yale and Cambridge have been well known for their ability to churn out world leaders, Nobel Laureates and industry stalwarts.
Participate in groundbreaking research  
If you are studying in any of the STEM related fields then you should study in USA if you want to participate in cutting edge research efforts. The US universities have some of the best research facilities, highest research funding and experienced faculty as compared to other countries.  

Be a global citizen  
Students who study in USA can experience diversity of different cultures first hand as most American universities have a significant number of students from diverse backgrounds. The universities also conduct a variety of social and cultural programs all through the academic to help international students.  

Be a part of a global network  
Most Universities in USA boast of really strong alumni networks, sororities and fraternities that you can tap into for your future career.  

Scholarships for study in USA  
Students who study in America are indeed lucky as they not only get to study in some of the best courses in the world but are provided a wide range of scholarships for pursuing the field of study they are most interested in.  Some of the well-known and prestigious scholarships for Indian students pursuing higher education in United States of America are  

1. Fulbright Scholarship for all universities in USA – A need and merit based scholarship that covers the entire cost of tuition, stay and travel  
2. QS connect Masters Scholarship – A need based scholarship that covers up to 2000 USD of tuition cost  
3. Tata Scholarship for Cornell University – A need based scholarship that is available to students pursuing their masters at Cornell University  
4. Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship for Stanford – A need and merit based scholarship exclusively open to Indian students pursuing their masters at Stanford. The scholarship covers up to 90, 367 USD of tuition cost for the student. However there is a caveat that the student should return to India on completion of the course.  
5. Go Clean Scholarship for all universities in USA – A merit based scholarship that is open to students studying at any university in USA or Canada and covers up to 3500 USD of total cost  

Work while you Study in America  You can work part time while you study in USA subject to certain conditions  
1. You can work on campus for the first academic year of your course  
2. You can work for up to 20 hours per week while your course is in session  
3. Students who are pursuing a course in STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) fields can work under the OPT(optional Practical Training) program   
a.OPT program allows you to work after completing 9 months of course study    
b.You will have to work in a field related to your course    
c.You can work for a period of 12 months after completion of course without applying for a work visa under the   OPT program  
4. Students can opt to work under the CPT (curricular practical training) program which allows students to work in a field related to their subject either as an intern or through co-op education  

USA F1 Student Visas are generally valid for a period of 5 years including OPT (optional practical training).  
During study program, students can work only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). After meeting the guidelines and taking permission from the university where they are studying students are eligible to work for a maximum period of up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students can work full time (40 hrs) only during holidays. The average wage for part time jobs is between $10 and $12 per hour. Students can opt for OPT which is related to their field of work. International students who have graduated from a university in USA are eligible to work full time for the remaining period of their visa in USA.  

ON Campus Employment:  
As an undergraduate or postgraduate international student studying in the United States, employment is possible on a part-time basis for up to 20 hours every week.  

OPT:  Optional Practical Training (OPT) is the work authorization letter where students can work anywhere in USA to get hands-on work experience related to the academic field of study. OPT is valid for one year and which is extendable to 24 months for the students who graduates in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) field.  


There are three types of student visa:  

F-1 (Student Visa) – The F-1 visa which is for full-time students who are enrolled in an academic or language program. F-1 students can stay in the US for the whole duration of their academic program plus 2 months. It is a prerequisite for F-1 students to maintain a full-time course load and complete their studies by the expiration date listed on the I-20 form. 
J-1 (Exchange Visitor Visa) – The J-1 visa is for students who need practical training that is not available in their home countries in order to complete their academic program. The training must be directly related to the academic program. The J-1 visa obligates the student to return to their home countries for a minimum of 2 years after the end of their studies in the US. 
M-1: The M-1 visas for full-time students at vocational or other nonacademic institutions.

Estimated Living Cost: $8000 to $14000 (per year). An average of $700 to $1000 per month should be considered as a reasonable amount.

This includes your accommodation (room and board), travel, food, and some university mandated books.

Heath Insurance Cost: This is mandatory for international students. It would range from $1750 to $2000 per year.

Miscellaneous Charges: $2000 per year

The USA is the only country which offers up to 100% scholarships on tuition to deserving students. This may be based on the students overall profile, both academic or extracurricular profile and the financial need of the student.

Few states may offer In- State Tuition waivers which work out to be 50% to 80% on the overall tuition fee.

Submit online application/paper-based application and send required documents to the universities. From the initial application until the final admission decision, it takes anywhere between 1 week and 6 months depending on the level and ranking of the university. The admissions into Universities in the USA are a very complex process since it is contingent on a large number of factors.

As the review on each file is made by different departments like graduate admissions, Transcripts Evaluation, GPA Calculation, Departmental Review, and then the Immigration Department for I-20, the process takes a long time for confirmation.

Generally, two types of Test requirements have to report to the university to process the application.

  1. English Proficiency test: TOEFL, IELTS, PTE are few of the tests are acceptable by the USA universities. One of the Tests is a mandatory requirement in most of the institutions.
  2. Departmental Requirement Tests: These tests are varied depending upon the selected program. This kind of tests assesses the academic ability of the student. For Example:

UG Degree- SAT/ACT is required

Graduate Degree- GRE is required

Management relevant degree- GMAT/GRE* is required.

Medical Degree- MCAT is required

Law Degree- LSAT is required

PharmD- PCAT is required

US universities have 3 intakes for students.

Fall: August/September

Spring: January/February

Summer: April/May

The deadlines for each intake are usually a few months before the start date. It is highly recommended that you apply early to maximize your chances for admission. Some universities even offer rolling admissions, i.e. admissions are open through the year. The major intake for the US is the Fall intake which offers the highest degree of competition but also features the largest number of corporate internships.


Q). What is the process for getting a student visa for USA?

A). You will first need to apply for and gain admission to a full time course in USA to qualify for a student visa. Once your admission is confirmed you can apply for a student visa at your local consulate. Get in touch with our consultants for a hassle free application process for student visa

Q). What language exams are required to study in USA?

A). If you wish to study in USA, you will need to demonstrate a working level knowledge of English as all courses will be taught in the language. Most universities accept either IELTS or TOEFL results as sufficient proof of your ability with the language. Our expert coaches at the Global Tree training institute can help you prepare effectively for these tests

Q). How much does it cost to study in top university of the US?

A). The cost of education in one of the Ivy League universities in USA ranges from 53,000 USD to 57,000 USD. Most of the universities have generous financial aid packages which allow needy students to complete their education at an affordable cost. If you are keen on studying at the top university and think you are capable of it then you should not let the costs deter you. Book a consultation with our expert advisors who can guide you on how to study at your dream university if your budget is tight.

Post a Comment