PhD Admissions August 2016
Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/
Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting August 2016.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
- Master’s degree (A five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological Sciences/Chemical Sciences/Physical Sciences/ Mathematics/ Bioinformatics/ Agricultural Sciences/ Veterinary Sciences or a Bachelor Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on August 1st, 2016
- The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10, or equivalent. According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided. Please mention this in the remarks column [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- Qualification in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st August 2016: CSIR-UGC-JRF/ DBT-JRF (Category I)*/ ICMR-JRF*/ Ranks 1 to 60 in GATE (Ecology and Evolution)** /JGEEBILS (GS-2015)***. Or the candidate should be eligible for DST-Inspire PhD fellowship [See point-2 under the heading “Important Points” below for INSPIRE Ph. D fellowship].
* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to avail Category 1 DBT-Junior Research Fellowships tenable at any university/institution in India. Fellowships restricted to join DBT or ICMR sponsored projects are not eligible.
** GATE (EY) qualified candidates are eligible only for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. GATE exam scores for other subjects will not be considered for PhD admissions to IISER-TVM.
*** JGEEBILS qualified candidates will be shortlisted based on their marks and may apply ONLY after receiving an e-mail invitation from IISER-TVM. Please don’t write to us asking for your JGEEBILS marks.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal, which should clearly have a scientific question or a research problem you find interesting to address and how you would address this. The word limit for the proposal is 500-700 words. While applying online, please upload this proposal under No. 20 ‘Statement of Purpose’. Please note: this proposal does not need to be related to the research going on at School of Biology IISER TVM. The proposal will be used as one of the criteria for short-listing and your application may be treated incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days. In case of a high turnout of candidates (more than 75), an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master’s level Biology questions for 70% marks and 12th level Physics, Math, Chemistry questions-together 30%) on the first day of interviews. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews. The final selection of candidates will solely be based on your performance during the interviews.
Research Areas in School of Biology open for PhD students in this round of selection:
- Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour
- Genome Stability
- Stem cells and regenerative medicine
- Structural Molecular Biology
- Molecular Genetics
- Immune Cell Biology
- Drosophila Development and Behavior
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview
- Applicants should complete the online application form in the url http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/
[Only Properly submitted applications would be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not forget to click the "submit" button after completing your application]
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, signature, community certificate and national level examination (CSIR/NBHM/Inspire etc) online
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of two referees in the application form.
- Applicants should download the Referee Report Form here and forward them to the concerned referees. The completed reports should be obtained in sealed envelopes and be submitted by the candidates, directly while attending the selection interviews.
- 5. GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 200/- [Rs. 100/-] as processing fee through the Powerjyoti Account.
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number
- Applicants are NOT required to post hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM.
- In case of any application related queries, please contact by email, addressed to the PhD coordinator [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Any other mode of communication will not be entertained
Online Application will be available at http://www.iisertvm.in/phd/ from 8th April 2016
Last date of receipt of the application form 10th May 2016
Announcement of shortlisted candidates on the Institute’s website http://www.iisertvm.ac.in 13th May 2016
Interview for the short-listed candidates Biological Sciences 12th June – 14th June 2016