19 January 2016
Advertisement: Research Position in Computational Biology in the group of Shree P. Pandey in the area of NGS data analysis, bioinformatics, plant genomics and plant stress adaptation
A Walk-In assessment-cum-Interview will be held on February 2nd 2016 for the positions of Project Linked Persons for extramural project to be executed at IISER-Kolkata.
Project Description: Projects involves high throughput analysis of data mostly generated by massively parallel sequencing (RNA-Seq and small-RNA-Seq), microarrays and related platforms. We are looking for highly motivated and bright individuals interested in high-throughput cutting-edge data analyses methods in genomics (computational positions). The project will involve analysis of raw sequence data generated by massively parallel DNA sequencing platforms, programming, design and operation of massively parallel DNA sequencing data analysis pipelines (NGS). Complementary experimental approaches are further used to study the role of signaling and defense pathways during plant-microbe and plant-insect interactions. Necessary experimental skills are following.
Available positions: Applications are invited from suitable candidates in the international CRP Wheat Program funded by CIMMYT and Max Planck India Partner Program, for openings at the following levels. Condition to satisfactory performance, availability of funds and requirements of the project, the positions could be available upto a period of 1 year (or funding of the project).
Position Minimum qualification* Salary scale (per month)#
Project fellow (junior/Senior data analyst)
Masters + adequate research experience/desirable skill sets
Rs. 25000/28000 (at the scale of JRF/SRF)
(<1yr) / > 1 yr experience
Rs. Rs. 32000-36000 (at Research associate level
*Minimum essential qualification (Computational Biology):
(1) MSc/MTech/PhD (or other suitable qualification) in discipline related to bioinformatics, computational biology, computer application, biology, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics (or equivalent)/ ‘Advance PG Diploma in Bioinformatics’ (or equivalent).
(2) Proficiency in one of the programming languages or statistics (proficient in R for example) is compulsory. #As per rules.
(1) Programming experience in at least one low level language such as C/C++ and one scripting language such as Perl/Python/PHP
(2) Knowledge of database management systems (SQL/MySQL).
(3) Substantial experience in the linux or other unix environments.
(4) Experience of working in projects on Bioinformatics, Genetics or Biological application areas/Computational and Statistical analysis (e.g. using R or Matlab). Experience in the field of genomics (NGS, microarrays, genome annotation), database development and management, software development, systems and network biology (or related fields) will be preferred.
Essentiall qualification (experimental) biology): MSc/BTech/MTech/PhD (or suitable qualification) in discipline related to Plant Molecular Biology, Plant Genetics, Plant Breeding, Biotechnology, Plant Biochemistry, Plant Science, Botany or Agriculture and/or environmental biology with major in any area mentioned above (or equivalent) with sound knowledge of plant signaling networks.
Desirable qualification: Candidates with experience in the area of genetic engineering, tissue culture, plant genomics, plant defense, molecular plant pathology, molecular plant defenses, microbiology, plant/microbe interaction, analytical and plant biochemistry or related discipline will be preferred.
Knowledge of statistics is desirable. Experience on wheat system and/or phytohormone signaling will be an added advantage.
Application process: Applications should contain CV along with brief description (maximum 1 page) of research conducted (highlighting skills and experience) till now. Applications should be sent by e-mail to Shree P. Pandey, Department of Biological Sciences, IISER-Kolkata, Mohanpur Campus, West Bengal within 2 weeks. Interviews (walk-in) are scheduled on 2nd February at 10:00 AM. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com Interested applicants must make their arrangements to attend interview at Room No. B15, Pre-fab II, IISERKolkata Permanent Campus, Mohanpur, Nadia 741246.
Directions on reaching IISER-K: http://www.iiserkol.ac.in/contactus/how-to-reach For any assistance write us an email.
Brief description of the group: We are an interdisciplinary group focusing on small-RNA (miRNA, siRNA) mediated regulation of signaling and defense. Project equally involve bioinformatics and systems biology (specially microarrays and next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis and its use), along with plant molecular biology, genetic engineering, field biology, and analytical plant chemistry for understanding response of plants to biotic stresses. For more details visit: http://www.iiserkol.ac.in/~sppandey/